“Your professional image is not seasonal. There isn’t much in life you can control, But how you are known to others is completely under your control.” That’s the heading for an article written by Ashleigh Forbes Kellogg. She goes on to tell us:
Spring has sprung and we are all anxious to crawl out from under our winter clothes but may I remind you that your professional image is not seasonal. There isn’t much in life that you have control over. But how you are known to others is completely under your control. Every behavior you choose tells people who are watching who you really are. Are you sending an accurate message?
Even when given permission to be casual, make your version of casual a little more polished.
Professional dressing tips for women (Ladies first)
“A good suite is the foundation of a woman’s wardrobe.” Genevieve Antoine Dariaux
- The three piece rule: You need three pieces of clothing for an outfit to look professional
- Avoid anything with cleavage (toes as well)
- Shoes need to be in good repair – polished
- Hair needs to be clean, dry and neat
- Buy the best handbag you can afford
Professional dressing tips for men
“The finest clothing made is a person’ skin, but, of course, society demands more than this.” – Mark Twain
- Shave as often as needed to appear clean and neat
- A short-sleeve shirt is, by definition, casual
- Khaki pants are casual but appropriate in most corporate settings
- Ties should be silk and end at the top of your belt
- Buy the best briefcase you can afford.
“Know yourself. Don’t accept your dog’s admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.” – Ann Landers
And, What is in YOUR closet for this Spring and Summer?? To learn more about what Ashley has to say, look for her articles in the Dallas Business Journal.
Email email@example.com to subscribe to her email newsletters
Ashley Forbes Kellogg is the President of ForbesRobinson, a business development consulting firm specializing in maximizing internal and external relationships.